Tomorrow is the 11th of March and if I can still remember precisely, I started going to the client's office two months ago. The night before I went in, I could hardly sleep. It was supposed to be the first day of my career, ever. I did not know what to expect but still, I ventured into the field with an open heart and mind. I remembered calling my manager, asking her where to park the car and whom should I go see. I came in, looking blur as ever, I passed a document that I brought from the office to another senior and my work started. I learned how to operate the photostate machine properly. I had to remember a password to do so. Then, I had to make a copy of a bundle of files, which in total was almost as thick as 3 Oxford dictionaries. The client looked at me like as if I was one of the auditor. They were perhaps.....impressed. I wasn't. Little that they know, I was the auditor's....little.....helper... Haha. Two months later, I still am and glad to be :) Anyway, when it was already lunch time, one of the junior auditor came to me and asked to stop and join them for lunch and at that moment, I kept thinking to myself, "Wow, they really take care of their interns," Well, they take care of each other. They make sure everyone eats their lunch. We walked outside and since then, we've been crossing the road together in order to get to the other side to have lunch. I eat my Malay food, they eat their Chinese food. I don't sound racist here, I am telling the fact, but we eat at the same table. They talk, I listen. Sometimes they ask me a question, I replied with an answer or two. Day in and day out, it was just the same, casually but in terms of my experience professionally, I learned a lot. I can now use Microsoft Excel, excellently, though they will disagree, my friends will agree. Haha. My friends know how much I hate handling papers, and that's the reason why I messed up on my first day. I messed up pretty bad but luckily, one of the junior auditor came to the rescue. Of course, I did stupid things along the way. I did many stupid things indeed. There was this one time, I asked my seniors about some simple debit and credit matter. It was so simple, that she had trouble trying to simplify a simple matter. I asked frankly, and she answered nicely, but of course, they made fun of it later by saying "It's interesting right since she taught you the debit and credit part of it" Ha ha ha. In order for you to get the documents, of course you have to talk to the clients. I hate that part. You have to play nice and smile all the way AND you have to know what you are talking about. I failed miserably at this. I became all sweaty in all the wrong areas. I mumbled slowly, but you have to do what you have to do. One time, the senior wanted me to be a spy for a certain bank. Suddenly, when I knew I had to call the bank to get the confirmation, I started to sweat drastically and my ears became hot. I wanted to run since there was the Director in the room, together with a senior and my manager. I dialed the number slowly and they started laughing and listening to me curiously. I was shy but it went okay, I guess because I got what I wanted. Of course they found many other ways to bully me, but I honestly do it sincerely because I know I have to learn and I don't see any other easy way to do so. I don't love the job but at least, I like it and I admire them in so many different ways. We think they don't have a life but hey, if that is their definition of life, who are we to say anything? I admire the fact that they are so clever. I suppose it comes with experience and time. Where else can you learn to act calmly when the original document got eaten by the feeder? Where else can you learn how to tally up the figure to the cents? I actually like it when there's a lot of work. My brain functions efficiently, without having to go through the heart. Hence, there's no conflict. Hehe. My other friends who are working at the same place get to go to different clients frequently. I've been attached to the same one since I enrolled in. Only there was this one time where they gave me away on loan to another company, but that was only for a day and a day only. Other that that, I've been with the same team for the past 2 months. I learned a lot from them and I will forever be grateful to them for being so patient with my never ending stupid questions, slowness and blurness. Hopefully, when I move on to another senior, I can show them that I am a Super VT! Hahaha
PS : Now that I am writing this, I realised that I don't have any picture with them :( I've got one more day to ask them tomorrow, but I am too shy....
No comments:
Post a Comment